The Bittersweet BLDG

The
Bittersweet
Building

The architect of the Bittersweet building was Andrew Sandegren (1869-1924). After he designed the Bittersweet building (1906) he became one of the important apartment designers in Chicago. Among his designs are: the Aztec (Fullerton and Lincoln Park West; 1916), the building at 1235-45 Astor Street (1911) in the Gold Coast Historic District, and others of a similar quality and scale. His other buildings were of three and four stories, two to five entrances; with six to eight large apartments at each entrance.


The Pattington on Irving Park Road

Built for James E. Patton of Milwaukee, its two connected courtyards reflect a physical layout that would become extremely popular among local flat builders, although rarely of this size or elegance. Ten entrances enable residents of the more than 70 apartments to retain some level of privacy while reducing traffic on individual stairwells and landings. In this walk-up, freight elevators were intended to ease the task of moving heavy furniture and appliances. The gold brick and stone building running 422 feet along Irving Park, has some refined neoclassical ornamentation, including column-flanked portals and a balustraded walkway. Built for rental purposes, the Pattington incorporated concrete as part of its fireproofing method, used previously, promoters declared, only for industrial or commercial purposes. When it was sold in 1923 to J. B. Waller, The Economist estimated the annual rental for the apartments was some $150,000, while the garages (built in 1910 or later) brought in another $40,000. The Pattington has been a condominium since 1977.



All material contained in this site © The Pattington Condominium Association


The Pattington
August 29th, 2014

Home
Restaurants, Shops, Entertainment
Links to Informative Sites
Market Place
log in
Add to Favorites
Richard H. Driehaus Preservation Award
Landmark Preservation Council of Illinois
Presented in 1995
Richard H. Driehaus Preservation Award